Pages



Saturday, November 16, 2013

No. 13: Buy A Big Girl Dresser

The two places I lived prior to buying my house spoiled me. Both had huge closets. It was glorious. I loved it. However, when I moved into my house with a closet with less space than an airport lavatory (yes, I went there), I knew I had a problem. I had some old crates from college that served as my dresser for the past four years. It takes me a long time to make big decisions, especially decisions that affect the aesthetic and feel of my home. I can easily spend hundreds of dollars on clothing, but spending hundreds of dollars on something to keep those clothes in makes me anxious. 

I finally decided that I wanted a mid-century style of dresser. I love the clean lines of this period, and most of all, I love the legs. I found the most beautiful one from West Elm.

It was perfect. What was not perfect was the $999 pricetag. So with the West Elm version in mind, I started hunting.
I scoured Craigslist. The Springfield market often didn't have a good selection so I would look in STL or KC. Mid-century furniture has become quite popular lately, which has driven up the price on these pieces. Occasionally I would find one in my price range but it wouldn't work logistically.

So, I started hunting at local thrift stores. One day during my lunch break, I popped in at one of my favorites near work, Urban Flea Market. I found three possible options.

I want to remind you, it takes me forever to make any large decisions. And a dresser is large, not just in price, but size. So, I took some pictures and thought it over.

I kept on my search, both looking for new knock-offs of the style at chain stores and looking for originals at flea markets. 

One Saturday, I bumped into one of my pals at a flea market while on the hunt. I had sent her the pics of the ones I had found a few weeks earlier as she also loves the mid-century style (and has a beautiful piece). She told me that if I found a dresser she would help move a dresser if it would fit in her SUV. 

So, I went back to Urban to review my options. One of the dressers had already sold. Upon further inspection of another, the body and bones just weren't in that good of shape. However, the third was better than I remembered it. Although I did want something with knobs and pulls I could refinish, this dresser was in pristine condition. All the drawers pulled in and out with ease and there wasn't a scratch or nick on it. And the price was right. 

I called Lindsey, scheduled a time we could bring it home, pulled out my Visa and it was purchased.

After a good scrubbing with vinegar and water, it found it's proper home in my bedroom. At the thrift store I knew I liked it, but once it was in it's forever home I realized I was in love. I swoon over it daily.

Look at 'dem gams

 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I've been the same way about a dresser, when I first knew I needed another one I searched all over, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I know waiting for the right one to speak to me (and for logistics to fall in to place) is the best move. Congrats on the new addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Court. I'm glad someone else feels the same way about finding the perfect piece :)

      Delete